Thursday, August 04, 2005

I could be a hermit. You know, the old guy that withdraws to the mountains, thousands of miles (well maybe hundreds of miles, then I could get groceries every now and then) away from human contact. Honestly, not having contact with humans would be awesome. I could think whatever I wanted to. Sit around playing guitar, sleeping and hunting for food. Or maybe just ordering groceries from some website. I think that's the real problem with isolation. It'd be hard to survive. Don't get me wrong, I'll all about trekking through the woods in snow or sweltering heat, just to catch one small woodland creature, taking it back to my meager and shabbily built hut, taking the time to bleed, gut, skin, and cook the animal, which probably wouldn't even replace the calories it took for me type that whole run-on sentence about it, much less, the energy it would take to actually go out and do the stuff. Being a hermit would only be cool if you were in range of a place that either delivered food, or at the very least be in a few days travel distance. Then you could go to the general store, buy several months worth of food (with money I would make trading stocks online I guess) pay up my wireless internet connection for a few months, and buy a few new clothes, some soap, maybe grab some molasses candy for the kids. . .yeah I could do that whole hermit thing. Or maybe civilization is the thing for me. I guess I could just ignore all the people who irritate me. And that, my friends, is the human way to deal with problems. Just ignore it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too often struggle with dominant hermit tendancies...