Friday, March 23, 2007

Breakthrough

Those following my recent blogging know that I am slightly perturbed with the sudden surge in popularity of TV on the Radio. I just don't get them. At least that's what I thought. That's right. I'm on the bandwagon. The deciding factor is actually a pretty cool story.

So for the last six or seven months, I've had this song that keeps popping in and out of my head. I have no idea as to who its by, and I can't remember any chorus or words. All I know is that I'll be sitting around and then I'll be singing this song in some kind of guttural moan. I tried singing it to other people to see if they knew it and of course, due to my inability to translate the thought to sound waves, all I got were blank stares. Fast forward to pretty much five minutes ago, when I was sorting through some mp3's on my iPod (translation: being OCD and labeling every song with its proper artist, name, and track number) when I heard the song. I was literally beside myself. Then I looked at the title. It was Staring At the Sun by (yep) TV on the Radio. This song has all but haunted my dreams for the last six or seven months, if not longer. I've been singing that song off and on for a very very long time. Why? I don't know, I guess I like it, though I'd like a deeper metaphysical answer than that.

All I know is this song, this band has gained official Javann status. I know they're probably going to go out and celebrate tonight, but that means a lot. This was a band I'd written off, and they have come to life. They get Javann status and the coveted Lazarus award.

So long story short, if you haven't been listening to TV on the Radio, go listen to that song and if it doesn't haunt your very dreams then write them off. Its okay, they'll be back.

No comments: