Monday, September 29, 2003

Ladidadi, we like to party, chances are it'll be enough to bother somebody. What's going on, Assorted Candy faithfuls, and whoever else reads this page. Today, as that lovely script at the beginning of this blog tells you, is Monday. There's no day quite like a Monday, because its full of invigoration and new hopes for so many people. Really, Monday is full of headaches and lack of rest for most people, and then there's the few that wished that there were something else to do other than go to work or school (or both) on Monday. I bet you want to know how my day is going, don't ya? Well, you'll have to read it anyway. Thus far the day is good, I've had a great time in class, and I'm living the life of the penniless with relative ease today. No free food thus far, but I guess that's the way it goes. My thoughts for today are all pretty scrambled, there's a bit of confusion on my part, but that's normal. I did have a great thought during class, but I've forgotten it, which does bring me to an interesting fact that we learned in communications. We lose 50% of what we hear immediately after hearing it. 50%. Obviously, that is basically half of what we hear. When I heard that statistic, it made me think back to everything I'd heard or talked about that day, and I honestly think I lost more than 50%. Which actually is quite true. The same researchers who conducted this study, waited eight hours and found out that about 35% was retained over an hour (on the average) That means that roughly one/third of what we hear is remembered. Which one third is it though? Of course, many psychology majors will be the first to tell you that its the first thing we hear, and the last thing we hear that we are most likely to remember. But that actually breaks down to roughly 3/8 of what we hear. I say that because I equate the middle to be roughly twice the first and last part (introduction and conclusion). What this means is that we are doomed. Doomed to a life of constant and continual forgetfulness.(I just forgot how to spell forgetfulness) Things that we hear and see are slipping away like so many grains of sand in an hour glass, like the proverbial days of our lives. Does this mean that we should give up on retaining knowledge of any kind? Well, we still got a third of what we hear. Which means, while we're listening, we could ascertain what exactly is the gist of the matter, and then have that be our third. Another suggestion is to take notes, since then we could review what was heard. Chances are that might help. What this really made me think of is the fact that we only use 10% (or was it one percent?) of our brain's inherent abilities. This means that we will never fill our brain completely with knowledge in seventy odd years. Could that be due to the fact that we can't remember but a third of the things that we hear? Or do we remember things, yet lack the ability to pull it up outta our reserves. Either way, I think this merits more brain power on my part. I'll have a slick little theory up in no time. Meanwhile, massage your inner organ, stretch muscles that improve your looks and greatly increase your life span by laughing. Or staring in wonderment and amazement'll work.

No comments: