Thursday, January 15, 2004

Growing up in Spanish Harlem, with guitar played by Carlos Santana. . .that's what's going through my head right now. Maria. Anyway, its Thursday, and school is officially underway I suppose. My mind's not completely addled yet, but not to worry, I'll be fried before you can truly realize it. I should hip you cats to some fresh happenings, the comments are up and running now and the site is officially under construction. Things will change, especially this nice 70's split pea green design, (feels like there should be some shag carpeting, oh wait, ick) though truth be told I'm really rather fond of the odd coloring of this blog. I might just make this the official colors. Honestly, I'm not sure what I'll do with this ol blog, except for perhaps ramble incessantly about it, filling up much needed space and keeping myself from having to do any real deep meditative thought sharing. So I'm sure you want to know how my classes are going, well at the moment they are fun exciting and I'm learning tons of new stuff. On the downside, well at the moment there isn't too much of a downside, I'm developing a serious abhorrence for work, and I do mean a serious abhorrence. Nothing will pleasure me more than telling my boss I quit, so now I'm in the process of looking for another job so that I can experience that greatness. Of course, as we are all aware, jobs are scarcer than good compliments, so I might as well just stick with it and work. Nothing wrong with hard work, good physical labor never hurt anyone, and if you work hard in life, you will eventually be rewarded. At least that's what everyone is wont to tell me, myself, I don't prescribe to any such rubbish, I know the rewards of my hard labor will be a bad back, arthritic knees, and lousy paycheck. Knowing such, I strive to relieve myself of such burdens before they become so. Also I've been reading a lot of Oroonoko, an intriguing novella by Behn, (I can't remember her first name) which details the life of a noble slave, who falls upon tragedy after tragedy. Its rather wordy to tell the truth, and it also contains the prejudice one would expect from a 19th century work (or was it 18th century? I'd better learn that before a test) but it really is a superb example of social climate at the time of her writing, and she even ventures so far as to criticize slavery in a covert method. If you have the time or the desire, I suggest you look it up on the web, even better let me find it for you. Here's a good copy with no additional information here, and here's an intriguingly written essay on how the covert meanings that I just mentioned. Now that I've left you with something to preoccupy your free time, feel free to spit some intelligence about it. Later!

No comments: