Friday, August 13, 2004

My car is sick. It's already been a sorta stupid day. I got up early to go take my car to the shop and then to go to my grandmother's with my dad in his car house to borrow her car (cause well, she doesn't really use it at the moment for one reason or another) till I get mine back but while we were driving along dad's car just sort of started sputtering and eventually went to sleep and had to get towed to the body shop where dad could get a rental (cause he's got connections) and continue the mission of getting me to my grandmother's to get the car.
Well Javann my weekend will be spent working also, it seems. But what can you do. I've just found out that this work will be getting in the way of a concert I was gonna go to tomorrow (I thought it was Sunday). So anyway I'm annoyed.

So a while ago I was thinking about literature and books and stuff and I started to wonder about modern books and which ones would be around 50 or 100 years from now and studied closely like we do now with old books. At that time all I had read by a modern author was some Michael Creighton stuff and I mean it was alright, but surely this stuff wouldn't be coveted for years and years after ol' Michaels death, so what kind of stuff would be? Well I really didn't know where to start, but I eventually discovered some pretty cool stuff. David Foster Wallace, DeLillo, Gaddis, and Pynchon to name a few. Most of them were more difficult to read and all were very different from what I was used to, but I was totally down with it, fo rizzle. But after spending a lot of time reading that stuff I was like, 'Wait a sec, what do these guys read?' There had to be a whole other level. So again I was searching for something new and discovered The next level of writers. Evidently those guys I mentioned above are like, the avant-garde of the non-avant-garde authors and to get more avant-garde than them you need to actually seek out publishing companies that only publish things if they're really weird and way on the other end of the avant-garde spectrum. And but so I found Fiction Collective 2 and Samuel Beckett who lead the bunch I guess, and then you've got more or less anything in the Dalkey Archive. At the moment I'm in the middle of a FC2 release and I think very vaguely intense is the right way to describe it. Does anyone else read this stuff? What'd you think? I know you have, Javann.
And now I'm off to learn more about decision structures or something.

No comments: