Friday, October 31, 2003

Well, we're a few hours deep into what I like to call the end of the week, and already I'm tired. Just finished with work, and now here I am at Jeremy's house. Today seems to be the day everyone calls Halloween. That means that everyone dresses as if they're Satan worshippers, and then they run around knocking on doors at night. And I guess everyone is okay with that. My biggest gripe with this holiday (other than the incredible pagan roots) is just that. Why would I want someone knocking at my door at night, and then threatening me for candy? Why would I buy candy to give to a bunch of overweight little brats that are driving through the neighborhood with their doting parents? The only reason I can think of is that they might end up with cavities, or even better, have early heartattacks. And so many wonder why America's youth are overweight. There's a whole day where they can get candy just for being dressed up. I'm sure the perfect costume for a lot of the kids is the Stay-Puft Man. Today I saw a woman old enough to be my mother walking across campus in a red Marilyn Monroe style dress (or at least the style she popularized) with a pair of shades on. Either she didn't realize how ridiculous she looked, or she thought it was okay for Halloween, but part of me wanted to run her down with the car to put her and that dress out of their respective miseries. Of course I didn't, but that's what I was thinking. Maybe I'm just having a bad day. . .

No comments: