Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Wow. What's going on Smarties? I can barely see straight, just finished assimilating two chapters of Economics. Man, that stuff gives me a headache. I wonder if anyone has gone blind, simply from reading too much deep stuff. I also did five chapters of communications, but that's not all that deep. I look forward to reading more like that in the future, which will probably happen because I can't seem to retain anything that I read for that class. So basically, I wasted an hour reading it. Of course, that might be why I can't retain anything I blew threw five chapters in one hour. So, I guess this the part of the blog where I go into some deep thought for the general enjoyment of the masses. Of course there'd have to be masses for that to even be applicable in this case. My deep thought today comes courtesy of the ant. The ant is such a small little insect, yet it scurries around with such purpose. The ant always has something to do. You never see an ant taking a vacation, or not getting food, because the ant is driven by instinct, a set of laws that are embedded in it from creation. I guess the point I'm getting at has to do with rather or not we can do things by instinct as humans. Of course, unlike the ant, we have to form habits doing things. Habits are easy in some respects, like the habit of brushing your teeth everyday. There's a lot of negative reinforcement (i.e. the pain of cavities, the stench of foul breath, the overall unattractiveness of unkempt teeth) which drives us to brush our teeth. Also habits that involve us doing things frequently and regularly are easier to keep up with, at least in my mind. Like daily habits are easier to keep up with because a day is easier to recognize. When the sun comes up and I get out of bed, that's a new day. When it goes down and I go to bed, its the end of a day. With weekly habits, it becomes difficult to focus (at least for me) on the exact day I'm supposed to do something. I've forgotten to take the trash out about two weeks in a row now, and that because I have a hard time identifying what day it is and what each day as part of a week brings. Honestly, I have a hard time keeping up with what day of the week it is, but I guess that's part of the problem as well. I think the hardest thing for me to do is keep up with appointments and what not. To get back to the beating path, instinct or habit is a difficult thing for a human to acquire. I think that is a blessing and a curse. Our lives today are based upon routine, in fact, having a routine adds stability to your life and (according to my fater) is a sign that you're a mentally healthy adult human. Of course, having a routine also means that your life becomes highly repetitious, and that can lead to insanity. Having the ability to break the routine, while not always a good thing, is still something that can helps us as we strive to keep it. Does that make any sense? If not, don't feel bad, oftentimes the things I think confuse me. Anyway, in the long run, I think what it takes is willpower. So maybe i should work hard on developing that. Be cool, boston beans.

No comments: